Fall 1943, Marcus and Wake Islands
In the fall of 1943 the Belleau Wood, Cowpens, and Independence were used in raids against Marcus and Wake Islands.
November 1943, Rabaul and Buka
In November 1943 Belleau Wood, Cowpens, Independence, and Princeton were used in air raids on Rabaul and Buka.
November 10 - December 10, 1943 Operation Galvanic
The Belleau Wood, Cowpens, Independence, and Monterey took part in Operation Galvanic.
December 4 - 8, 1943 Kwajalein and Nauru
Aircraft available December 1, 1943:
- TF 50, Rear Admiral Pownall
- TG 50.1 Rear Admiral Pownall
- Cowpens: 21: F6F Hellcats, 9: TBF Avenger
- Aircraft Carriers: Yorktown, Lexington
- Heavy Cruisers: Baltimore, San Francisco, New Orleans, Minneapolis
- Light Cruiser: Oakland
- Destroyers: Nicholas, Taylor, LaVallette, Bullard, Kidd, Chauncy
- TG 50.3 Rear Admiral Montgomery
At Kwajalein the Asakaze Maru (6,500 tons) was sunk and the light cruiser Isuzu was damaged.
At Nauru three Marus (10,375 tons total) were sunk and the light cruiser Nagara was damaged.
55 Japanese aircraft were destroyed and the Americans lost five.