In September 1941 the General Staff issued requirements to have infantry tanks have high velocity guns installed. The Churchill 3" Gun Carrier was developed and not much other design work was done. No other progress was made and it was thought that Churchill production would end in late 1942 once Cromwell production was in full stride. However, in late 1943 Vauxhall was asked to design a Churchill with a 17 pdr.
It was a wider Churchill Mk VII with stronger and wider tracks and suspension. Work started in January 1944 and 6 pilots were built with testing occurring in May 1945.
Initially nicknamed the "Super Churchill" but was renamed the Black Prince. Only six prototypes were made, and the project was dropped because the Centurion A41 was available.
Air intakes were placed on top of the hull. The hull MG had a telescope that was used for firing. Used a No. 19 radio.