The HMS Argus was the Italian liner Conte Rosso converted into an aircraft carrier. In August 1916 the Conte Rosso was purchased by the British Admiralty.
Initially the HMS Argus was to be fitted out as a seaplane tender but in 1917 it was decided that it would also carry land based planes. There was a takeoff flight deck in front and a landing deck aft, behind a superstructure. However, before the HMS Argus was launched it was decided to make a single flight deck.
The HMS Argus was the Royal Navy's first flush deck carrier.
There was a single hangar, 350' x 68' x 20'. There are two lifts, 30' x 36', to bring aircraft up onto the flight deck.