Was designed along side the R-35. It was to accompany the infantry.
The prototype, without crew and ammunition, weighed 10 tons.
Built by the Société des Forges et Chantiers de la Méditerranée. First mass produced French vehicle to be diesel. 100 were ordered in 1936. 100 more going to be ordered but were too expensive.
The engine was built under licence from the British firm Ricardo. Was first French tank with a diesel engine.
The hull and turret were welded. There were mud chutes running along the top of the tracks.
The suspension was the same as the Char B1. It had four bogie wheels mounted in pairs on each side that were controlled by vertical coil springs. The was also an independent wheel in front.
It had an octagonal shaped turret (APX) with a non-rotating cupola at the back.
The majority of the FCM-36s had the 37 mm SA-18 L/21 gun installed, however a few may have had the 37 mm SA-38 L/33 gun installed.