During the Winter War of 1939-1940 the Finnish Army had one tank battalion of Vickers 6-ton and FT-17 tanks. This force played a small role in the fighting. However, many Soviet vehicles were captured.
In June 1942 the tank forces were organized into a Armored Division. By 1943 the equipment was quite obsolete and 30 StuG IIIs were purchased from Germany. In June 1944 the Soviets launched a major offensive to knock Finland out of the war. An armistice was signed on September 4, 1944.